NAMI Family-to-Family is a free, 12-session educational program for families, significant others, and friends of people living with mental health conditions. It is a designated evidenced-based program. This means that research shows that the program significantly improves the coping and problem-solving abilities of the people closest to a person with a mental health condition.
NAMI Family-to-Family is taught by NAMI-trained family members who have been there, and includes presentations, discussions and interactive exercises. This program not only provides information and strategies for taking care of the person you love, but you’ll also find out that you’re not alone. Recovery is a journey, and there is hope.
Facilitator: Sheila LeGacy
2020 Class Schedule (dates to be provided soon)
• Spring 2020
• Fall 2020
Course registration: Please contact Sheila LeGacy (Slegacy@accesscny.org) to register for one of the 2020 sessions.
The group setting of NAMI Family-to-Family provides mutual support and shared positive impact—experience compassion and reinforcement from people who understand your situation. Sharing your own experience may help others in your class. In the program, you’ll learn about:
• How to solve problems and communicate effectively
• Taking care of yourself and managing your stress
• Supporting your loved one with compassion
• Finding and using local supports and services
• Up-to-date information on mental health conditions and how they affect the brain
• How to handle a crisis
• Current treatments and therapies
• The impact of mental health conditions on the entire family
NAMI Homefront is a free, 6-session educational program for families, caregivers and friends of military service members and veterans with mental health conditions. The course is designed specifically to help these families understand those challenges and improve their ability to support their service member or veteran.
NAMI Homefront is offered in two formats: in person, and online.
In person classes:
• Facilitator/registration: Contact Ann Canastra 315-412-3029 to register
• Dates: (2020 dates will be posted here in January)
• NAMI Homefront Online is offered in a virtual classroom, so participants experience the same level of interaction and learning as traditional in-person classes.
• Online Course registration: please click here for a description of course content, and to sign up for this program.